How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else. R. Buckminster Fuller

Thursday 30 October 2008

Central cemetery at night

But well, you can’t really call it nigh but the misty clouds made half 6 feel like 12. Went there after visiting the massif gardens of Schloss Schönbrunn, the humble residence where Franz Josef spend his first and last seconds. Had coffee with Nicole –my lovely last minute Vienna host- in the teahouse overlooking this grand building within he declared his eternal love to die Keizerin! Vividly remember watching Sisi as a little girl and sitting so close to the screen that Romy Schneider's dress had little green, blue and red dots in it. Mouth open wide, and –for this I was notoriously well known- a dribble hanging on my bottom lip that surprisingly enough could keep flowing for hours and hours. Maybe I had more saliva as a child or something, who knows. I still sometimes get like this when a film grabs me, quite embarrassing but please forgive me if you have the pleasure of experiencing it. Just don’t show me good films.
After sharing this childhood memory with Nicole I remembered reading that there are some famous people buried in Vienna. Nicole told me that she knew which cemetery there probably resting and that it’s a beautiful worth visiting one. She was meeting a friend so I decided to go to this Central Cemetery -that supposedly so big that you can see it from an airplane flying into Vienna- myself. Bloody wintertime made the evening fall quicker than expected and when I got there at 5.45 it was basically dark. But no worries, plenty of candles to show me the way. After searching the main gate for opening hours I discovered I only had 15 minutes left before closing time, but as still determinate to have a little wonder.

-Moving to the restaurant part of the train now for coffee. Wish I could stay on this train for hours. Sun is breaking through. Almost at the Hungarian border-
Ok, I am really getting followed…in the restaurant there was one other person, a train lover from Wales that has friends working in the National Museum in town! Really guys, I’m doing well so please stop checking up on me!!

In the mean time I changed trains in Gyor and am now on a local train.
But back to the cemetery… Dark… Great! Walked to the other side that was open till 7 (mister cemetery man tipped me on this one) Definitely saw Mozart and Beethoven because their names were writing obviously clear and big but could not make much out of the others. Hope I walked past Klimt. After leaning over and carefully trying to reads loads of stones I had to make my way back to the gate. Couldn’t see the time on my watch and didn’t want to be late. Too dark. Going to read my granddads story now. Am in Hungary 29-10-08

No comments: