How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else. R. Buckminster Fuller

Wednesday 22 October 2008

…………I’m leaving tomorrow

On my way to Hungary at least....the land of my grandmother so actually I should be a shamed that I waited so long. Bad girl! Am very curious about this part of my roots, wonder if I might turn into a Gypsy princess. Who knows?

My mum send me quite a long story my granddad wrote about his Hungry (haha) experiences -and I think also about the family and my grandmother (want to save it as long as possible so not sure exactly.) Printed it this morning to take with me. They are both gone, in a way it makes it even more special because the coming weeks they will be back alive through my eyes and thought. I have never known my grandmother but maybe we will meet somewhere, somehow.

Started to make a little Photoshop doc to show where the road hopefully takes me, didn’t finish it though. Was a mix of realising that everybody that reads this blog already knows where I’m going and the bloody carpale tunnel syndrome the makes my live a living hell! Will upload it when I'm back.

Most of my time I will try to Couchsurf: The best!… after wine, sushi and brushing my teeth than of course. Discovered this lovely way of travelling a month ago when I wanted to stay in Denmark and Sweden cheaply. It’s been so amazing! I was completely astonished with the hospitality of the people that hosted me. Check out: www.couchsurfing.com

After this very good week I decided to start hosting myself. Got my first request and asked Claudia –lady of the house- if it would be ok to help out this Belgium guy that was also experiencing the expensive living in Copenhagen en wanted to escape to bohemian Berlin. All was good. Quite close to the start of my own trip because his bus to Poland -next stop- would also be tomorrow –I’m writing this on Wednesday, tomorrow is Thursday- Ok, this is confusing!

Anyway, it worked out well. He actually slept all 3 nights, including tonight, at his brand new Italian lady friend. They met 4 days ago and get along very well. But this evening after Sushi with Rene I found him in distress back at my place. He was supposed to leave at 8 to meet her, something went wrong....

The other night he took his washing over to hers and was supposed to get it back tonight, sleep… and get the early bus. She would call…but didn’t . “She still has my trousers, what do I need to do?” he asked me. “Just call her!” I said -and was quite surprised he didn't think of that himself. He found out she was having a late diner at a friends, her voice sounded a bit annoyed. Lovely young Belgium boy was in a bit of a panic seeing his bus leaves at 5 tomorrow morning. He left mine at 12 to get his washing.

But besides this non couchsurfing couchsurfing experience it can also work out the other way around. Gemma, the lovely Australian that cured me of me disliking Australians, we just met for coffee about two weeks ago–you don’t have to surf or host, meeting up for drinks is also part of the hole couchsurfing platform. Had more coffee…..diner….wine…coffee…wine.....and she is going to stay in my room for the month I’m gone. She was actually visiting Berlin for a week or so but can’t stand the thought of leaving.


Leaving tomorrow………

1 comment:

Gemma said...

Hello there! About time you nicked off so I could sleep in your room!

I have been having a relaxed time here so far and am especially enjoying cooking again - it has been over 6 months since I've cooked!

I used some (by some I mean most) of your basil last night and will tend for it lovingly until you return.

Keep us updated on your adventures. And I write up a suitable reference for you soon.

Love your token Australian friend,
Gemma