How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else. R. Buckminster Fuller

Saturday 24 January 2009

fridges and old iron


I woke up today hearing my house mates voice obviously trying to get something heavy through the door. I also heard another voice helping him. Or a fridge or a washing machine I thought, both we still need and either was good. The guys from Art-Fusion that sorted out out this place for us completely decorated it. Loads of volunteers donated furniture, kitchen stuff trying to make it homely. Bless them! When I stumbled out of bed and walked into the kitchen I saw the latest edition of gifts standing in the corner. Mister fridge has entered the building! Eugen, the volunteer that donated it, stayed a little chat. A very friendly and funny guy. All Art-Fusion people we met so far are great and extremely friendly. Whilst sitting in the kitchen we heard the same yelling as we hear every morning. This gypsy lady passes our block every morning... Selling something? No idea? Eugen told us that she's shouting "Old irion!" to collect and sell it again. Might be a good career swap some day.

Sitting in our kitchen I got hypnotised by the nice big fridge in the corner. Completely covered with handmade stickers of Pluto, Jeremiah cricket, Goofy, Tom & Jerry, Donald Duck....and so on. It's a big fridge and with lots and lots of neon coloured images. Some of them have a silver glow, and if caught staring at them a bit to long they WILL start walking and talking. When I asked who made them my imagination only got crazier. He told us that his mum used to work as a medical worker in Bucharest prison, one of the convicts made them for her. Eugen was not quite sure what kind of crime the man committed, but he sure must have been there a while looking at the detailed drawings.

Yesterday me and Valters -Volunteer from Latvia- checked out The Museum of Romanian Peasants. A beautiful museum with amazing pictures and remainders of a great heritage. It was the European Museum of the year 1996. As a museum-holic I have a bit of an idea what's out there, and trust me, its so worth visiting when your ever around. Maybe it's even a good excuse to come and visit me, cause the old fashioned Romanian ladies look the best!

2 comments:

errr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
errr said...

cripes. A fridge decorated with shiny stickers made by a romanian convict? You're living the dream oods.