How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else. R. Buckminster Fuller

Monday 3 November 2008

Radioactive Disneyland.

Am in Szeged and watching the Monday morning kick start. Found myself a little bakery at the end of the pedestrian area, good coffee. The constant flow of students is getting their daily breakfast consisting of pastries that look like a small continent covered in powdered sugar or hiding under a thick layer of chocolate. The town -second biggest University city- looks very pretty and with its pastel coloured buildings with beautiful facades I would never ever refer to it as suicide capital of Europe -which according to my host lies beneath the surface. The little tram wiggling through the centre and the variety of shops, people, little balconies and buildings that sometimes look more like a blown up beds of flowers have more in common with Disneyland if you ask me. My host here, Istvan, is a friend of Eduard that hosted me in Pecs. Both great guys from Transylvania.
After leaving Szombathely by train heading towards Pecs I felt like my parents were standing on the platform waving goodbye but knowing I would return one day -my bed sheets are waiting for me as Andrea called it. Need to say it agian: They were great! I had a 4 hour journey a head of me before entering somebody else's live in Pecs. On the way -for maybe 1 or 2 seconds- I felt a little small. It was Friday eve and in my train were loads of young Hungarians going home or gathered together to go out to town. Where is/ was my home, my town? Do I need to choose one or can I just call a place home when I feel like it that particular moment? Rhetorical question.
The moment I met Eduard at the train station, chatted on the bus and got to his house I felt at home. He didn't make this difficult for me at all because, he even called the room I stayed in my room. I find it truly amazing how every time I meet a couch surfer it feels like meeting an old friend. I think that there is this couch gene that activates this social part of the brain when meeting another one. We had 2 great days of sightseeing, eating and talking about Hungary and Romania. Was great to have a little inside into the country I'm gonna move to in January. In case this is new for you I will quickly fill you in. Basically Im going to do an 8 month voluntary project funded by the EU for an organisation in Buchaest called Art Fusion. We -4 people in total from different countries- will be setting up and running a participated theatre group for youngsters. Can write more about it of course, but not now. Am drifting off again.
Pecs was very peaceful and relaxing. Although we did our main sight seeing on Saturday the city centre was almost empty -everybody was in and around the cemetery sorting, selling and stealing flowers and arranging candles to light as soon as the sun would set. It was amazing to see. Eduard - Geologist that is working on a project developing and building an underground radioactive waste deposit- also showed me this amazing fence covered with locks, locks of love that couple put there as a sign of their commitment to one another. It was packed and had no signs of being a fence anymore. Because every imaginable place was taken a couple of meters further along another fence was getting "locked". We also went to an enormous flea/ frui and vedge/ animal market on the edge of the ciry. I bought socks -hand knitted by this old lady- and Eduard got a piece of Old Amsterdam after getting advised by this Dutch cheese-man. Midday I took the bus to Szeged and discovered the grass was greener on the hills surrounding Pecs, literally. It was an amazingly sunny day again, round 20 degrees. The bus was not going very fast and was quite bumpy but I didn't care. Not going faster than 20 km/h -uphill- and passing through loads of little villages gave me the opportunity to see some of the beautiful Hungarian landscape in the golden sun. Another 4 hours later I arrived is Szeged.

2 comments:

René Zieger said...

been reading and reading, almost like following your footsteps. seems to be a good trip so ähntschoyyy! cu soon.

Judith said...

Sweet. Thanks!