How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else. R. Buckminster Fuller

Friday 6 January 2012

"Judith...what's that on your face?"


After almost a week at Löwengarten I started to realize it's possible. It's not just another idealistic wish but an observation and mix of certain facts that I somehow knew would work together but had to see with my own eyes.

Besides the bio we have not ones emptied the recycle or the non-recyclable bins. They are both two regular size buckets and at the moment half full - but actually there was something in them before we arrived so not sure how long they've been in use. The majority of the non-recyclable waste contains of broken cups and a shoe that Midna got her paws on...a dog has to chew what a dog has to chew :) In the recyclable bin there are some butter wrappings and maybe a couple of other things.... but to be honest I'm not so interested.

So it is possible for me not to be interested in waste?! Instead I'd put my energy and joy in natural resources to fulfill every day's needs: food, shelter and many kinds of interactions and warmths <3

It made me think about my relation with waste. Maybe I should move away from waste and focus more on waste-less ways..

I feel strongly about raising awareness about reducing, recycling, upcycling and avoiding waste to possibly inspire people to adjust their consumption ways in a more desirable way for themselves and the(ir) environment, and have been -and still do- enjoy participating and initiating projects around these topics but it might be time for me to reassess my strategy.

It made me think about about a thing Robin shared - a sweet friend of Pavlik and a teacher in Bangladesh that kindly helped out with a presentation about "Solidarity Economies" Pavlik and Bine prepared for the Berlin Taize gathering last week. During his presentation said something quite obvious but easy to forget: "Childeren don't learn the things you tell them, they learn the things you show them." Replace children with people and add the probability that it could be that fear plays a role into changing into not yet widly establisched and developing livestyles and maybe thinking there is something of somebody benifiting of 'this all' because that's how the Non-Solidair stuctures they are part of usually work. We will all benifit.

It could be that showing and sharing that community supported (agri)culture can reduce waste, be more socially and passionately driven, be more sustainable with sharing knowledge / skills / resourses and that these communities can also decide their own individual group values that the benefits come more to the surface and more and therefore more people feel strongly about exploring their own possibilities.

We don't have to live by the rules we don't agree with -and mostly don't understand but are told that they are 'good for us' If we don't like them, we can create our own that we support and feel happy and at ease about because... if we don't have these qualities in our lives, what are we supposed to get our inspiration and spirit from?

Independed ways are possible and Löwengarten and Simon's view on community is only one of many and he is always open the very happy and willing to share his experience. Lets show and share what we are capable of!

Yesterday we went to get milk, this meant taking a glass jar to the neighbouring farm that has milking cows and getting it straight from the tank. Simon updated the logbook with how much he took and cleaned a dirty spot just under the tap - it was already there when we got there, I think something must have been leaking maybe. There was no tetra or till lady involved but on the other hand the o so important trust -trust that the milk is good even though not packed in a liter pack and trust in that people are honest at documenting what they take.

Question: Will there be less waste if there is more trust?

I got up at 7 this morning to spend some time with the apples and the chicken before breakfast, the apples not only smelled great but also looked amazing. Sorted quite some characters you wont find in most mainstream supermarket for next weeks delivery. After breakfast I felt happy and planned in some glitter wood chopping - I happened to pack a little pot in my bag, lucky me! Later this afternoon Simon looked at me and asked: "What do you have on your face?" I told him about my glitter mood, he reacted ".....ahh, glitter....I though it was snail slime!"

---please ignore my lovely spelling mistakes and special sentences and don't worry if your lost in some bits ;) It's the sharing that counts :)

No comments: