How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else. R. Buckminster Fuller

Saturday 7 January 2012

Parsnip feast

Today Andreas and Bernadette from the Kreutzberger community group came over for a days of work. We just about finished breakfast when they arrived. After a little catch up and a coffee Simon shared what had to be done and took them sorting parsnips. I decided to continued with taking pictures for Simon's Share-List: An overview of everything he has at Löwengarten and doesn't need or can not take. Goal of this list is to find new owners. It sounds like the usual moving out clean up but the only difference is that in this move there are piles of wood and animals involved. Especially the cows, that don't have a new home yet and should find a new owner soon...

Because we found -and find- it very important to help Simon and the cows we discussed how we could communicate these excess belonging to the community so they can maybe become adoptive parents of stuff - or maybe a cow :) Together we came up with an idea and Pavlik created an application that can show what it is that Simon wants to find a new home or owner for. I took the task of taking pictures of everything. Have a look if you like, here is the version so far: Löwengarten Liste It's still in progress as you can see, soon there will be more content and a link on the Löwengarten website.

I really enjoy taking pictures and helping out with sorting stuff, Simon has quite some treasures you must know :) I've already been blessed with one apoption: A big red woolen jumper that is keeping me warm at the moment. As you can see in the list there as still two cows missing, I would like to photograph Rubinu (snout above) and Baschka in their full beauty to make the cow family complete -Rubinu confused my camera for a jummie piece of bread so I couldn't get the right angle. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, I was busy in the kitchen this morning - photographing many thinks like cupboards, the fridge and dishwasher and uploading and importing them. I was right in the middle when Simon told me he was going for a nap and he would not join us for lunch, he was still not feeling 100% recovered from the flue that tortured him the last couple of days. He told me I could discuss with Andreas and Bernadette when and what we would like to eat. I noticed it was coming close to 1pm so I finished my last uploads and put my shoes on to go outside and speak to them...but I first had to find them...where were they? They were not at the container with the parsnips, behind the house or in the basement was also no one. I checked the whole house... but nobody besides sleeping Simon -that I did not wanted to wake. The bikes and cars were there so they couldn't be in the garden. But where are they then? I decided to jump on a bike and check the garden anyway....


When I arrived at the garden there was no Andreas nor Bernadette, very confusing situation...and not just because I had no idea where they could be but I also noticed something else peculiar. Rubinu was standing at a spot he could not be, the electric wire boarders the parsnip field and he was wondering around on the parsnip field. I'd looked and wondered if I maybe was mistaken and put my bike against a tree to go over and check it out. I saw the wire was down and a couple of metal poles that guide the wire were lying on the ground. For a second I thought I could fix is easily and said something like "Hey, what are you doing? Please go back" and pointed to the field where the others were. No way. Instead the others came to have a look and joined Rubinu on the parsnip field. Ehhh...and now? So I jumped on my bike and cycled back to the house where I had no other option to wake Simon -where Andreas and Bernadette were was still a mysterie ...

Together with Simon we took a crate of bread and went back to fix the fence and -most important- figure out why it broke down in the first place. The cows are very sweet and would not like to get shocked so there must be another cause of this all.

By the time we got back the cows had found the crates with freshly harvested parsnips and started a little parsnip party. The bread all of the sudden was not that interesting anymore, vegetables are much tastier :) Simon spreaded the bread in the field where they were supposed to be and I -party pooper as I am- confiscated the parsnip crates. All was well and they decided for bread.

Simon fixed the fence that was broken because the greenhous door blew open and hit it and I figured out that Andreas and Bernadette where working behind the chicken stable harvesting red beets. A space I haven't worked yet but will now never forget to look now. Lunch time!

No comments: