How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else. R. Buckminster Fuller

Monday 2 January 2012

sounds like cowbells

This year my so called new year was spend in the quietness of the countryside. It was super sweet to get so many invitations for diners and celebrations but the thought of the firework war-zone of Berlin Neukölln, and the anxiety it will cause me, I decided to ask Simon if he could use some help on his farm. He liked the thought, and so did my sweet friend Pavlik that joined me.

Simon runs a community supported agriculture farm that is called
Löwengarten - land-und-leute.com/ - and has 5 ha of land, 4 cows and a bunch of chicken. This project makes it possible to deliver 180 people, spread over 7 Berlin based communities, weekly fresh fruit and vegetables for a fare price. All people are friendly welcomed to the farm to help out with for example harvesting and maintenance to not only share the experience of seeing where their lovely foods come from but to also make the project sustainable.

A few months ago Simon decided that is was time to move on and to find new possibilities. Therefore he is moving out of his farm at the end of January and will proceed his deliveries from another farm close to Berlin. A time with lots to do.

Besides feeling at ease with the surroundings and enjoying working and being close to nature, Löwengarten has a special effect on me of unwinding and of 'everything will be ok'... the cabbages will keep on growing even though I didn't reply to an email and the cows don't care if a project proposal is hand in this week or the next.

Unfortunately I haven't felt the best of all, bad throat. Today we cooked lunch and I played with Eaneas and Pavlik was figuring out a technical way to list all Simon's open-task and belongings that need to be taken care of. It rained. Yesterday wood chopping and -my favorite- cow shit collection stood on the itinerary ;) We also started taking down the last fences of the pastures. Tomorrow we will continue.

Good night!

No comments: